Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Complications



We have greatly enjoyed our finally-discovered local farmers market for the last couple of months. In addition to the usual vegetables, berries, and now apples, I scored some wonderful maple syrup, and know where I can find locally produced honey. And every week there are flowers, huge bunches for $5.

Four weeks ago I bought a couple of monochromatic bunches that included eucalyptus, cat tails, and these wonderful spiny green globes. After enjoying them in water for a couple of weeks, I dumped the water and let them dry in place. I figured I'd have a lovely dried arrangement for the winter but then...



One of those green globes popped open to reveal a pod full of fluffy white seed parachutes. Agh! Unless I want the house to look like Cottonwood Canyon, that is simply not going to work.

This morning I discarded my "flowers," and not a moment too soon. What are those green things, anyway?

4 comments:

Maricello said...

Aw, the kittens would have had fun with those fluffy seed pods! :-)

gottagopractice said...

My point exactly!

MagicBunnySlippers said...

Why, those are the seeds of the Pod People, of course! You've just narrowly escaped becoming one of them.

gottagopractice said...

OMG, MBS! That was close! (Yay! You're still here!)