Thursday, June 26, 2008

Casualty



My Dr. Beat sits on top of the piano, within easy reach while I am practicing. It seems like a flat, secure place, so I'm not sure why it ends up on the floor at least several times a week. It's a sturdy little machine, so in spite of multiple falls, yesterday was the first time it appeared to be damaged during its adventures. That circle to the right of the "70" should have a big orange dial on top of it.

Fortunately, I can work the dial without the cover, but I got to thinking that I should find it soon, if I had any hopes of ever seeing it again. Thinking like a cat, I feared it was finally time to clean out all the toys lodged under the couch.




But before going spelunking, I did a visual scan of the area. Wait, there's a flash of orange! Wasn't it kind of Sharae to provide some complementary visual interest in the area my eyes needed to see?


A little closer. That looks promising, but uh, oh, I think it may be broken in half.


Phew. It's just fine, lodged under the fireplace tools.


Bummer for the cats, though, The rest of the toys are still under the couch.

2 comments:

Maricello said...

Your room is so clean. My whole house looks like "under the couch."

Is this the Dr. Beat that speaks actual words (1, 2, 3, 4)?

gottagopractice said...

The very same. We call her The Dominatrix. T- recommended I use her counting when doing tricky things that can lead to losing track of beat 1. She regularly helps when I am playing 4-octave scales in eighth notes, changing the bow after every 8 notes. Too easy to cheat and change the bow on the wrong beat.

As to the other, that's the magic of camera angles.